The Post-Secondary Enrollment Options Act was passed by the Minnesota Legislature in 1985. Its purpose was to provide a wider variety of options to high school students by enabling them to enroll full-time or part-time in eligible post-secondary courses not offered at local high schools.

Specifically, this act provides:

11th and 12th grade students may apply to and if accepted, attend a Minnesota public post- secondary institution or a participating private, four-year, liberal arts degree-granting college or university located in Minnesota.

Eligible 10th grade students may enroll in one Career and Technical course.

A school district shall grant credit to a pupil who completes and passes a post-secondary course or program. Students are not permitted to take courses that are not considered to be college level; this includes developmental and remedial courses.

Post-secondary credits received shall count toward the graduation credits required by the home school district. The credits and GPA will be placed on your high school transcript and the grade will be calculated into the student’s cumulative GPA. The university or college shall also grant credit upon successful course completion.

Tuition, books, fees or any other necessary costs for the courses may not be assessed to the pupil. These are paid by the state through the school district.

The institution determines student eligibility. The student is responsible for getting his/her college transcript to his/her high school counselor at the end of each semester.

Therefore, the student is responsible for submitting his/her grades to be recorded for high school graduation.

Per the Minnesota of Department of Education, students must notify their School Counselor by May 30 of their intent to enroll in postsecondary courses during the following school year. PSEO students have some unique responsibilities that other high school students may not have. The following are some of the particular situations that PSEO students need to know.

Student’s Schedule: Students need to work closely with college reps and their school counselor to develop their schedule for the year.

Semester Dates: The start/ending date of high school classes and college classes may not coincide and classes may overlap. For example, a student may start at Normandale on January 2nd yet he/she is not scheduled to complete classes at the high school until January 28th.If the student is unable to attend or complete work for the classes at the high school, he/she needs to be aware that the loss of high school credit may occur due to the difference in schedules. It is the student’s responsibility to meet with his/her counselor to determine a plan for completing high school credits.

MSHSL Eligibility: The Minnesota State High School League rules allow a student to participate in extra-curricular activities or athletics covered by the League at either the high school or the post-secondary institution, but not both.

NCAA Eligibility: Students are responsible for ensuring their NCAA eligibility when taking PSEO classes. The student is responsible for obtaining and submitting any requested information about college classes to the NCAA Eligibility Center. Failure to do so could result in the loss of college eligibility. Website:www.eligibilitycenter.org.

Be aware that not all out-of-state colleges accept PSEO credits as college level credits.

*Also, please be aware that it is the student and family's responsibility to make sure the student will have enough credits to graduate from Central High School.

Once a decision has been made to enroll in PSEO classes, the student must:

1.    Enroll in the college of their choice. 
2.    Set up an appointment to meet with the High School Counselor.
3.    Fill out the following paperwork and bring it along to your
       appointment with the High School Counselor (making sure
       that the parent(s) and the student have signed in all area's.

      2021-2022 MN Dept of Ed. PSEO Form

    2021-2022 CHS PSEO Contract

Please be aware that this paperwork needs to be filled out EACH SEMESTER, and that an appointment needs to be made with the High School Counselor EACH SEMESTER. This is to ensure that all credits are being met to graduate with a Central High School diploma.